Monday, June 21, 2010

Take No Prisoners

It’s one of those days when there is music in the silence, when every sound is a dissonant chord somehow fitting into the tune. Cars rush by and I am out of sync with the world. I felt good about myself this morning, my hair was brushed and my boots clicked on the pavement. An appointment in an office, what a way to start my day.

He looked like a crazy, shaggy grey hair and a shirt not fully buttoned, but for some reason we clicked. Maybe it was the strength in his grip, or the way he never once said my name. “An Aquarian!” he said as he read my file, “My stepdaughter’s an Aquarian, she takes no prisoners.” Somehow, this made sense. We talked nothings for a while and he filled out his forms, every now and then looking up and appraising me deeply. There was nothing uncomfortable about the way his grey eyes took me in, right down to my soul, every millimetre. I had known him 45 minutes and was completely at ease. As I left the office, he gripped my hand once more.

“Don’t forget to enjoy your life” he said.

I felt good this morning...

...Until I thought of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment